Hi! It’s nice to meet you! I’m Kimberly Schebler—an experienced writer and editor who supports authors at every stage of their work. Sometimes that involves copyediting to enhance grammar and flow, developmental editing to resolve big picture issues, drafting an engaging query letter to that dream agent, or coaching a writer through their entire book.
I love collaborating with authors of magical realism, fabulist, speculative, and literary fiction.
My editing philosophy embraces bending the rules to preserve an author’s voice while always remembering the reader.
You should work with me if you want an editor who can sharpen what makes your work marvelous. I’ll help you create a book that’s both accessible to readers and true to your vision.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in creative writing from SUNY New Paltz.
- Specialized Certificate in Copyediting from UC San Diego.
- Editor of Bone Parade.
- Four years as a professional grant writer and editor at a nonprofit.
- Certificate in Editing from The Poynter Institute.
- Editorial Freelancers Association courses completed:
- Book Mapping
- Advanced Copyediting
- Intermediate Developmental Editing of Fiction
- Advanced Developmental Editing of Fiction
- Well versed in the Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Conferences attended:
- Editor’s Canada: Editors Transform 2021
- ACES 2021 Virtual
- AWP 2021 Virtual Conference
- Continually updates skills by attending editing and writing webinars, writing workshops, and conferences to stay current on changes in the publishing industry.
- Also an active member of the Editorial Freelancers Association, ACES: The Society for Editing, Association of Writers and Writing Programs, and the Freelancers Union.
When I’m not spending time in the publishing world, I’m a small-time adventurer, avid reader, music enthusiast, and amateur science nerd living in New York.